Brisbane, QLD


Saturday, September 6, 2014

A CITY WALK Part 1

We went into the city to visit the Apple Shop to get our iPod fixed. I nagged TOH into going for a walk after our business was done. He didn't complain too much as he enjoys walking in the city rather than in the forest (go figure). Anyhoo we set off from the Queen St Mall down to the river side.

I felt dwarfed by the tall.tall buildings but the architecture was interesting. The city council was so excited to have TOH walking around the city that they rolled out the red carpet for him. He is giving the royal wave. (Actually the city is preparing for the Brisbane Festival, which started today.)

We have two ferry systems now. The CityCats, which are quite big hovercrafts and these little ferries called CityHopper. These little ones are free and you can hop on and hop off all along the river.

We walked along the river edge passed the posh Stamford Hotel towards the City Botanic Gardens. We took a rest and admired the visiting yachts.

Behind us were apartment towers and the iconic Story Bridge. It looks like the council should provide bike stands for those who cycle into town.

We checked out some old buildings. The old Naval Offices dated 1900.

The Port Office, both are now businesses.

Then we entered the gardens. This tree obviously knows Spring is here. The weather was beautiful,  not too hot or too cold.

There are many walkways and cycle paths through the gardens but I spotted an interesting sculpture off the main walkway in a mini rainforest.
 It is called “Jemmy Morrell and the Brolgas” by Lindsay Dean. Jemmy Morrell was a sailor who was shipwrecked on the Great Barrier Reef in the 1840’s. He lived with aborigines for 17 years.
After a few snaps we were back on the path heading towards the Goodwill Bridge and South Bank. (next post) 

27 comments:

  1. I like the name of the water taxis, and the mascot. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The buildings are lovely. Do like your husband doing the 'wave', well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful walk, Diane, many years since I last visited Brisbane. The free ferry must be popular with locals and tourists alike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Linley it's been far too many years since I've visited Brisbane too.
    I enjoyed this very much Diane. LOL great sense of humour - red carpets etc for TOH!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the tall buildings and the interesting sculpture in the mini rain forest. TOH's royal wave and walk on the red carpet is very special! Believe it or not, Grant has decided that we walk EVERY night after work. We do a 3.5km round trip up the main street and back. He's taking his health seriously at last! He forgets that I also walk every second morning with my friend from the other camp - we do an 8kmm round trip. *sigh* ! Thanks for an interesting post. I'll look out for the next one. Greetings, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should hope so that they put out the red carpet for you Diane :)Always enjoy the walks you take us on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the bikes on the chains and the composition of that photo and the red carpet.. really great shots and a beautiful city... i have not walked under tall buildings like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice walk ! Mr. G. would maybe have visited the Apple shop, but not a cm more ! I really like the CityHopper !

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a very interesting walk, and it looks to have ended up almost in a forest even though you started out among the tall skyscrapers. Brisbane seems like it would be a fun place to visit . . . love those free little water ferries.

    ReplyDelete
  10. William! I think some more practice is needed on that "right royal regal" wave.
    I think Diane there are bike parking places - BUT it costs. Thus the bikes on the riverside.
    I wonder do those "freebee" little ferries go up as far as Lone Pine Sanctuary?? Would be a good saving in cost for visitors/tourists and LOCALS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Diane! I love all your photos and commentary as always. I have nominated you for the "One Lovely Blog Award". Please don't feel obliged to participate but I hope that you get more readers as a result and enjoy basking in the glory.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brisbane looks like a delightful city to walk. I think TOH does a very credible royal wave.

    ReplyDelete
  13. TOH looks very regal. That was rather clever of you turn a city walk into into almost a bush walk anyway.

    The free boats are a terrific idea. We should have them here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is nice to have a walk with you without walking myself...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how I love spring... I know you are happy to be entering that wonderful and colorful season. We are entering FALL here --but so far, not much yet...

    We took a wonderful Day Trip to the Smokies on Friday. Thought about you all --but so many of these back roads will be closed when you all are here... BUT--there's still a lot to see.

    Hugs,
    Betsy
    P.S. Email me with an update on your tummy....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those City Hoppers look good I would like to ride in them and the old building well I love old things so would like to see them, I have always liked old things I love history.....just saying

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your city is beautiful, Diane! I always feel that a walk in a busy city makes one feel very alive --all the hustle and bustle of people and cars and busues, etc. The gardens look lovely blooming with spring color.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Walking the red carpet and TOH looking SO classy all in black. Love that pink blossom tree.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the comment on my blog, "By Stargoose And Hanglands". Thought I'd pop over and see who you were! Really enjoyed the City Walk and look forward to Part 2. Fine photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for showing this lovely view of the city Diane. What a wonderful walk you went on. So many great visuals for us too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoyed this walk but generally prefer the bush. I stayed at the Stamford quite a few times on business trips and liked to walk those paths in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a lovely city to stroll in and I so enjoy seeing them through your lens!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an interesting visit; I wonder what the story is behind that sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  24. First, How nice to have an Apple store you can get to easily. We always stop in to one whenever we are in a large city with a mall and then we go mall walking as there is usually only a large parking lot outdoors. Your outdoors work was much better and what a great day as far as weather and clear skies!
    Hope the iPod was repaired while you enjoyed the walk about...nice wave too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Loved this walk with you, I would have loved to have lived in Brisbane which was one of our original thoughts, but Australia would not let us in despite my sister-in-law living in Sydney. Never mind I love France. Trying to catch up on the nexus but it is slow typing compared with the laptop! T'other Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful! I like your pretty Spring pics. Nice trail with statue too

    ReplyDelete