Brisbane, QLD


Wednesday, July 8, 2015

PALM SPRINGS AERIAL TRAMWAY

While I was in LA last month my daughter and family took me for a trip to Palm Springs for a few days. It was a great experience. The landscape was amazing; desert, mountains and palm trees. The temperature was 40°C/104°F. It didn't bother me as I prefer hot than cold. We stayed in a lovely house (next post). Sonya packed a picnic snack and we drove up the foothills to the Tramway Valley Station.
 We went into the waiting area where I read information about the Tramway. It has the largest rotating   cabins in the world. 'Rotating!!! eek!' holding up to 80 passengers. It climbs from 2,643ft/806m to 8,516ft/2,596m. Wow! passing through 5 life zones from Mexican Sonoran Desert to an Alpine wilderness.

 I was very happy to read that it was made in Thun, Switzerland, Bill's hometown. So I knew it would be safe. (hee hee)

 Soon we were swinging and rotating up the narrow valley to the mountain top. It was breathtaking.

 The boys enjoyed the view. Only the floor rotated, the walls were stationary so Banjo had to keep letting go of the rail.

 At the top we emptied out into the Mt Jacinto State Park, which has 54 miles of hiking trails and some primitive camping grounds. It is covered in snow in winter. Sonya found it strange to see it without snow.

 We set off down the other side of the mountain. I was thinking umm we have to walk UP here again to catch the tram. It was fairly steep.

 Then we were in a mountain forest it seemed strange after being in a desert.

 We looked for a nice rock to spread out the picnic.

 My cute American family.

 The boys preferred to climb up a big rock with their muffins rather than sit on our nice flat rock. After our snack we went exploring and hiking. The boys loved climbing and balancing on fallen logs. It was a lovely temperature up there, not at all hot nor too cold. All too soon it was time to head back up to the Tramway. By now the boys were worn out and had to be piggy backed up the hill. I managed to huff and puff my way up even though we had to rush at the end as we could hear the call to board the tram.

Boarding the Tramway at the Mountain Station.

 It was an amazing view over Palm Springs and the desert. As the cabin rotates..........
you get a close up look at the walls of the canyon. It was a wonderful experience. In ten minutes we  were back in the desert and the heat.

27 comments:

  1. Hello Diane, awesome views from the tram. And the picnic area looks nice too. Looks like a fun time with your family. And yes, they are a cute family. The boys are just adorable. Have a happy day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't been on it since 1997 but are going to PS in October so plan on taking a ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, you did it. Family looks well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful excursion and these views ! I also wrote about trams, but they are completely different and made for the cities !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh now I love flying but this tramway is not acceptable for me. London eye is enough...But you had a great time with your charming family and it is the most important

    ReplyDelete
  6. truly beautiful views and i like all those trees and rocks, especailly the one the boys ate the muffin on.. you are brave

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet seeing Thun on the railcar was reassuring and exciting.
    If any nation would know how to build these marvels, it would
    be the Swiss.
    I bet the boys had the time of their lives.
    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had not heard of this tramway before, but it looks like a fascinating -- and beautiful -- adventure. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was nice seeing these familiar views through your camera's lens! I've been up there a couple of times in recent years and am always stunned by the view of the desert floor so far below, the desert cities looking so miniscule; it's like looking down from an airplane! Your grandsons are growing fast - I am glad you were able to visit again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A spectacular tram ride Diane. And good to have such confidence in those Swiss-made cars ;) what an interesting coincidence they were made in Bill's home town. Great photos and enjoyed seeing the ones of your family, especially of those adorable grandsons of yours. Thanks for visiting my blog posts about our vacation in England. Yes, it is a wonderful experience meeting blog friends. I feel very blessed that we got to meet you and Bill in Wahington DC a few years back :) I was telling Gregg's sister about it last night. Happy day to you my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a great place for a family to explore. Good to see some home town engineering!

    Stewart M - Wilsons Prom National Park, Victoria, Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is an amazing ride up with a very special tramway with stunning views.

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks like a lovely place to visit. your picnic looked so nice too. i'd love to go on the tramway it looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Quite an experience, I would have enjoyed it but I would never have got N to go in it!! Strange 40C in Africa never worried me, but 40C here, because of the humidity, gets to me. Better than the cold though! Have a good day Diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a very neat experience! I really enjoyed your descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We spent two winter /spring seasons in Desert Hot Springs and took this tram ride both years. One of my favorite Memories from our RV travel days...truly amazing experience. Loved seeing it through your eyes ...thanks for a fun post and the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  17. If we ever get to CA, I would enjoy this tramway just based on the views in your post, Diane. And, yes your family is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that looked like a wonderful experience. Great views and contrasts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How nice you got to spend real quality time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh no Diane, I wouldn't like that at all :) but I did very much enjoy seeing you do it haha! I was thinking that it would probably be a bit cooler higher up. Looks like you had such a wonderful time, must have been a bit sad to leave, but so many happy memories AND thousands of photos I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks amazing, a must-do trip if you visit that area, by the looks of it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Have never been to palm springs but do have a friend who lives there. That rotating tram looks amazing and your shots are great. Makes me want to go check it out! What fun you have with your travels

    ReplyDelete
  23. A,ade me remember our trip on the skyway at cairns. Would love to be there right now. Very chilly here.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How wonderful to hear about this, as it isn't too terribly far from us. The fact that the Tram rotates as well asclimbs is so interesting. GREAT photos of the views, and your family as well!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great idea that the tram rotates so you get a view of everything. Spectacular scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! What wonderful views! I'd love to take that tram. The alpine weather is so much cooler than sea level so I'm sure it felt good up there. Your American family is adorable, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! What wonderful views! I'd love to take that tram. The alpine weather is so much cooler than sea level so I'm sure it felt good up there. Your American family is adorable, Diane!

    ReplyDelete