Brisbane, QLD


Wednesday, November 19, 2014

GETTING TO GATLINBURG

Saturday 15/11/14
We were packed and ready to leave Nashville early. After the hugest breakfast that you have ever seen,  we set off in a cab to the airport to pick up a hire car. Rob drove and Kathy navigated our way out of the  airport and we were on our way to Gatlinburg. We stopped in at Crossville to meet bloggers, Betsy and George. It was fun meeting another blogger. I recognised her house and garden and the bird feeders from her blog. It is pretty amazing to feel you know people and places on the other side of the world when you have never met them, but that is what blogging does. We had a drink and a chat and then we were on our way again. We had to turn our clocks on one hour and it was late afternoon when we arrived at Laurel Springs B&B. It is old with a history and it is small and cosy. The hosts are helpful and friendly. We took their advice for dinner and parking. The little town of Gatlinburg is quaint but bordering on kitch. The Christmas lights were stunning.We headed to Cherokee Grill for dinner. Once again the meals were huge. I had Lemon Chicken and Bill had ground steak. Then it was home to climb up into our bed which is high off the floor.

French Toast and bacon for breakfast at the Linden Manor B&B in Nashville TN.

We stopped at Crossville and met the lovely bloggers, Betsy and George.

We drove on towards Gatlinburg

Our B&B, Laurel Springs Manor, in Gatlinburg.


We drove into town for dinner

We parked the car and walked quickly in the cold, past a babbling brook 
and down the colourful street
to the restaurant.

Then we climbed into bed without a ladder.
(Apologies to my blogger friends, who I haven't had time to visit and comment.)

19 comments:

  1. how neat that you got to meet betsy and george! and nice christmas decorations, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Playing on stereotypes, did the bacon shatter as you tried to cut it? You could fool people if you said Betsy was your sister. Most would believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super Diane following your trip! And just fabulous meeting up with dear Betsy and George!! Their charming home and gardens would be hard to miss.
    Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh -- I can't tell you how happy we were to meet you and Bill --and Kathy and Rob.... So glad you could visit us here at our little home in Fairfield Glade. I only wish you could have been here when our Roses and other flowers were blooming... BUT---It was wonderful to meet all of you... Wish we could have joined you in the Smokies... Sorry that the weather has been horrible for your visit. You all need to come back sometime in the Summer or Fall when the trees are turning colors.... Good Luck with your drive tomorrow... Hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you had time to stop off in Crossville on your way to Gatlinburg. It looks like the Festival of Lights is as beautiful as ever, and I'm glad you could enjoy all the lights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another huge meal, oh goodness, don't think I could eat all of that..
    Nice to meet our blogger friends, this time on the other side of the world! Still wonderful.
    The lights look good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember Gatlinburg, I looked it up in my travelbook. I had wiritten : "A weird city with only one long street full of amusement parks". Well, I see that street on you photo again! The B&B looks very cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You mean to tell me you wanted dinner after that breakfast!! Keep warm and enjoy t'other Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun place this is to visit! I hope that you get a chance to visit CADES COVE while you are there. I have bicycled through this quaint and charming village several times and love it. Enjoy your visit there

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you are getting to see the Smokies. They are one of my favorite parts of the US and I have done lots of hiking and skiing there. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that b and b is fantastic.. you are really having your self a grand tour... in the cold.... brrrr. i have been to Gatlineburg but not in the past 50 years

    ReplyDelete
  12. That B&B is an amazing piece of architecture, inside and out. I don't think I've seen anything else quite like it. I always enjoy seeing these US roadtrips in blogs; they somehow give a better impression of the country than more considered and artistic shots.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Christmas is something else in the US. Exciting but I can do away with the in- store music. I can never think of Christmas in the US without hearing it in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never minda about not having time to visit other blogs, Diane, it is such fun reading about your adventures and seeing the places you are visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is one gorgeous B&B I love the cosy lounge area. You could get lost in one of those sofas. I'm glad you got to meet Betsy and George. It's the modern day pen pals meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. See I was just wondering if you'd meet up with Betsy and George and I'm so glad you did!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting.
    Hope you ate all that "crispy" bacon?
    I like my bacon crispy but that??????? - I think on the
    overdone stage, and pray tell - where was the ice-cream?
    Have fun on the Mississippi paddle-boat. That I would, I think,
    enjoyed to "Nou Oleans".
    Cheers
    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am catching up with you this evening, Diane, and I was glad to see you mnet George and Betsy during your trip! I am still sorry I missed your visit when you came to NYC a few years ago. The eye that gave me trouble tghen was still giving me trouble, so I recently had cornea transplant surgery which hopefully will help. So far, so good!

    ReplyDelete