Brisbane, QLD


Friday, September 2, 2016

NATURAL WONDERS OF KANGAROO ISLAND

While we were on our tour of Kangaroo Island off the coast of South Australia, we were taken to a Wildlife Park. There were many different kinds of Australian animals, too many to show here.  
I had never seen white (albino) kangaroos before.

 The overseas tourists just love the kangaroos.

 Holding hands.

 The little penguins were cute.

 The echidna is well camouflaged.

The next morning it was beautiful having breakfast overlooking the bay at Kingscote.

 After breakfast we were taken to a honey factory, where they showed us how a special machine takes the honey out of the honeycombs without destroying the honeycombs. This speeds up production because the bees don't have to construct the honeycombs again they just fill the old ones with honey.

 They have a very pure honey on Kangaroo Island because there is only one type of bee on the island. It originally came from Italy back in the 1800's. The honey is more pure than the Italian one now because the bees in Italy have cross bred with other types of bees.

 Then we drove to the other end of the island to see the Remarkable Rocks. From a distance they don't look anything special although some say they look like a camel lying down.

 But as you get closer you can see how big they are and their unusual shapes.



 They certainly were remarkable.

Next stop was Admiral's Arch, a naturally formed archway under the little peninsula where you could see the ocean on the other side. 

 It was also home to many New Zealand Fur Seals

 I recommend Kangaroo Island as a great place to visit for wildlife, National Parks and walks. It hasn't been spoilt with development.

We stopped at a very interesting Information Centre in Flinders Chase National Park before boarding the coach for the last time to take us back to the ferry. It was a long drive then a short ferry ride followed by another long bus ride back to our hotel in Adelaide. We fell into bed exhausted at midnight.


26 comments:

  1. You've sold it to me. We've seen albino kangaroos in Tasmania.....or were they wallabies. I can't remember now. It seems the albinos are accepted in kangaroo society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I love kangaroos too, we even have them here now hopping around on farms, for their meat ! These rocks are just unbelievable, what fancy forms they have, a pity that I can't see that, if only I had the money, time and experience I have now 30 years earlier !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Diane, the kangaroos are cute. Neat seeing the albino kangaroos. I would love to see them in the wild someday. I like the penquins, they are little. The coast scenery is gorgeous, cool rock formations. Great series of photos. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow wow wow wow on all those kangaroos, this tourist would LOVE to see all of them and pet one if they would let me. I knew you were strong, but that strong? holding up a giant boulder? that beach with trees gets yet another Wow.. I can't believe they can get the honey out without destroying the combs. that is super duper...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had ne at those penguins, Diane, but the kangaroos were also cute. But those rock formations were so incredible. And as much as I want to avoid bees, the image here was beautiful. You and Bill certainly have wonderful adventures...an understatement, I know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great selection of photos love those rocks but my favourite is the echidna. Have a good weekend t'other Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, what a great post I am a bit jealous :) The albino kangaroos are something I have honestly never heard about very cool. What a beautiful place you find yourself in once again. I can imagine the taste of that honey. Enjoy . HUGS B

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diane I have never seen before white kangarros and echina what a great animal - masterpiece of creator

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see you guys are still out and about exploring Diane :) the rocks do look a little like camels from a distance :) such strange shapes when you get up close!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an incredible place to visit! I LOVE the scener7y, especially those amazing rock formations. Really beautiful! And the animals are wonderful, especially those white kangaroos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those albino kangaroos look quite strange as are the rock formations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your photo gives new meaning to the saying " belly up to the trough!" Those rock formations are amazing - glad you included people as a reference to their gigavntic size. Love that tree and sun photo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done Diane.
    A great photographic and documentary of your travels.
    North and then south to Kangaroo Island.
    Your talents have been noted.
    Cheers
    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow those kangaroos are neat and some albino! The view y'all had was wonderful.....you sharing how huge the rocks were is amazing when you see how little people are beside them

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow, great post Diane. Those rock formations are amazing and I adore the kangaroos. I could just kiss those sweet faces. Great photo of the seal too and all the photos are a delight. I would have loved a tour of that honey factory.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a country you live it! I'd have been right in there with the Asian tourist thrilled by the kangaroos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful place Diane. Magic rocks there, great scenery.
    Albino Kangaroos have seen in the distance once..

    ReplyDelete
  18. That sounds like a wonderful place to visit! I love all your photos and appreciate the info about the bees, too. The rocks are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute kangaroos.
    Have just seen in person one month ago on Perth.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Diane, I just wanted to stop back and say thank you for linking up your post. Nice critters! Have a happy day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those rocks really are Remarkable - we have had a couple of great trips to KI.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Just back in Melbourne!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It certainly does look worth a visit, I will add to my list. Your Kangaroo reminds me that when we were in Bordertown there were signs about white kangaroos, we didn't have time to investigate but I have just looked it up now and there is a whole colony of them there apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the cute critters ... Amazing place to see so many. The ech...(I scrolled up to see how to spell it and forgot again by the time I got back)...anyway that cute little ball of prickles is adorable and definitely well camouflaged ! What a great place and super to find a spot that hadn't been touriststed to death!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your shots are just lovely and that looks like such an interesting place to visit. I have never heard of an echidna before... such a cute little guy! And of course I always love love love the kangaroos! So personable

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your shots are just lovely and that looks like such an interesting place to visit. I have never heard of an echidna before... such a cute little guy! And of course I always love love love the kangaroos! So personable

    ReplyDelete